ATF offers $5,000 reward in theft of 18 guns in Roosevelt
Roosevelt Police Department
ROOSEVELT — Investigators are hoping the promise of a $5,000 reward will lead them to the person who stole 18 semi-automatic handguns from a Roosevelt store in June.
A masked man dressed entirely in black broke into Stewart's Marketplace, 245 W. U.S. 40, about 2:30 a.m. on June 23. Surveillance video from the store showed the man running directly to the sporting goods department, shattering the glass out of a gun case and loading handguns into a duffel bag.
On Monday, Andrew L. Traver, special agent in charge of the Denver office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said the agency is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the burglar.
"Investigators have received information that some of the firearms may have been delivered to surrounding states, including Nevada," Travers said in a statement announcing the reward.
"ATF and the Roosevelt Police Department are committed to solving this investigation,” Traver added. “We know that often stolen firearms end up on the streets and in the hands of violent criminals. We are asking the community to come forward with information that could help provide leads and bring those responsible for this criminal act to justice.”
The 18 stolen guns are all semi-automatic, including .380-caliber, 9 mm, .40-caliber and .45-caliber weapons, according to Roosevelt police detective Pete Butcher.
"Based on the investigation and the evidence, the person did some homework in this case," Butcher said, adding that police believe the suspect is in his 30s.
Anyone with information about the case should call the ATF's Gun Hotline at 800-283-4867, the ATF Salt Lake City field office at 801-524-7070 or the Roosevelt Police Department at 435-722-4558.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 15