Salty, crisp and green. OK, so the green part probably has you wondering what this dish could be and whether you’re willing to try it. I’m not sure why the word "green" turns people off when it comes to food, but my Kale Chips are simple, healthy and delicious.
I love food, but I’m also committed to being healthy. The government says we should be eating more vegetables. This would usually turn me against the idea, since I have a stubborn streak and generally dislike being told what to do, even if it is good for me. Yes, Mom, I admit it.
But in this case, I’m an easy target. I love vegetables and look for new ways to get them on my plate. One vegetable I hadn’t really tried until recently is kale. It is a dark, leafy green — and that usually sends people running. However, this recipe turns this over-the-top healthy veggie that is loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals, including even calcium, into a dish that tastes like you’re eating something forbidden. That’s probably stretching it, but my kale chips could make you keen for green.
BELLE'S KALE CHIPS
4 cups kale (stems removed and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
Place the kale pieces in a large bowl. Drizzle the oil over the top and toss well. Sprinkle with the salt and toss again until everything is evenly coated. Place the kale on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. These are best eaten right after cooking!
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's A Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- Here’s a look at Disney’s newest...
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three people...
- Teach your children to be coachable
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling and Lexi Walker...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three... 2
- The Clean Cut: Bindi Irwin, Crocodile... 1