Parole granted for Reggie Campos, who shot and paralyzed neighbor
UTAH STATE PRISON — Reggie Campos, who was once convicted of shooting neighborhood watchman David Serbeck in a confrontation, has been granted parole.
The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole said Monday that Campos would be released from the Utah State Prison on July 22, 2014, almost five years to the day of Campos and Serbeck's late-night confrontation in the middle of a street in their Bluffdale neighborhood. The two men lived five minutes apart but had never met each other until that night.
Campos, 44, shot Serbeck — who is now permanently paralyzed from the waist down — and pointed his gun at another man who was with Serbeck. The confrontation began when Campos believed a stranger was pursuing his frightened teenage daughter. He claimed he was acting in self-defense.
Campos was convicted of aggravated assault and sentenced up to five years in prison. When he is released, he will have served four years. He was also convicted of attempted murder with injury, a first-degree felony, and sentenced in 2010 to three years to life in prison, which was to be served consecutively with his aggravated assault sentence.
But last month, the Utah Court of Appeals overturned the attempted murder conviction and said Campos was eligible for a new trial, agreeing that he was deprived of his constitutional right to effective legal counsel. His conviction on aggravated assault — for pointing the gun at the second man — was upheld.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said on Sept. 12 that his office had not yet decided whether it would retry Campos.
Serbeck is also in prison, serving time for an unrelated case involving sexual contact with a teenage girl. He was sentenced in 2012 to up to 10 years in prison after he was found guilty of three counts of unlawful sexual activity with a 16- or 17-year-old, a third-degree felony. His next parole hearing is scheduled for September 2015.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 48
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 43
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12