Amy Donaldson: Inspired by a friend with ALS, Colorado dad carries on the work of a stranger
There have been many special moments for Bieshaar this season, but one stands out among the others. The third race of the season, April 6, he competed in Southern California and Young came out to cheer him on.
When he got to the finish line, he pinned his bib number on Young and they both crossed the finish line with the Blazeman Roll.
“Today, less than six months later, he is completely confined to a wheelchair and can’t move,” said Bieshaar. “It just shows how fast this disease moves. He’s 49 years old.”
Bieshaar only has one more race this season, the XTERRA world championships in Hawaii in a few weeks. He said it has been immensely rewarding and educational.
“I learned that your limits are in your mind,” he said. “You can do anything you want. I always believed that. I always looked at why not rather than why. I learned that there are genuinely good people out there.”
In achieving his goal, Bieshaar proved that just because something hasn't been done, doesn't mean it's impossible. And the way Blais lived the final years of his life prove that beating a disease is as much about how you fight, as it is about finding a cure.
Blais was an athlete, a teacher and a poet, and his foundation’s website said he believed in ending a story with a quote. So in honor of Bieshaar’s accomplishment and generosity and the Blazeman’s fighting spirit, here are some final thoughts from Blais about the joy of living:
“Live more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now, giggle, know and laugh. Bark at the moon like the wild dog you are. Understand this is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. Live your life. Face your fears and live your dreams.”
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24