Linebacker Jared Norris, who topped Utah with nine tackles, noted that the effort followed what was probably the best week of practice all season.
Whittingham and others agreed.
“We just wanted to win badly,” Walker said. “That’s all. We just wanted it.”
Following a 51-48 overtime loss to Oregon State the previous week, the Utes were determined to bounce back.
“From this we’ve just got to keep on moving forward and make sure we keep on getting better, too,” Wilson said.
Utah (3-1) has a bye this week before resuming Pac-12 play Thursday, Oct. 3 at home against UCLA. The Utes host Stanford the following week.
EXTRA POINTS: Tight ends Jake Murphy and Westleee Tonga were injured in the game. Whiitngham, though, expects both to play against UCLA on Oct. 3. ... Utah prevailed despite converting on just 1 of 14 third-down situations. ... Three Utes — Trevor Reilly, Jacoby Hale and Honeycutt — were credited with two tackles for loss. ... Bubba Poole finished with a team-high 96 yards rushing. ... Tom Hackett punted the ball 11 times, netting 486 yards. ... Cornerback Keith McGill had three pass breakups. ... Utah’s defense had five sacks, while the Utes’ offensive line surrendered just one. ... Walker’s interception was Utah’s first of the season.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43