SPANISH FORK — Authorities said a 39-year-old man was calling out for help when he was discovered by campers on a mountainside trail around 8:30 a.m. Sunday about a quarter mile above the Spanish Oak reservoir.
Authorities said he went up there sometime Saturday and was not prepared to spend the night.
“We had some campers, actually some kids that heard somebody yelling for help,” said Sgt. Eldon Packer with Utah County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue.
He said the man, who police did not identify, was lucky to have been noticed on an isolated trail in what had been less than ideal weather conditions overnight. (The hiker) was very cold and dehydrated having unexpectedly been forced to spend the night out in the elements, he said.
“He did not have the clothes or anything else that he would have needed to stay the night,” Packer said. “It appears he spent the night up there (having) injured his leg, and needed help getting down.”
The area where the hiker became trapped was surrounded by dense brush on a steeply inclined slope, he said.
“It was very brushy towards the bottom so it was problematic picking our way through the brush,” said Greg Beveridge with Utah County Search and Rescue.
Despite the rain, search and rescue teams were able to put the man in a rescue stretcher. Crews set up a “lowering system” to bring him down off the mountain where he received treatment for his injuries.
“He was a little dehydrated and also a little hypothermic,” Packer said. “Had he been out there for a much longer period of time, he definitely could have had some real trouble.”
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- College-bound Utah man with spina bifida...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 137
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 62
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 25
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12