SPANISH FORK — Authorities said a 39-year-old man was calling out for help when he was discovered by campers on a mountainside trail around 8:30 a.m. Sunday about a quarter mile above the Spanish Oak reservoir.
Authorities said he went up there sometime Saturday and was not prepared to spend the night.
“We had some campers, actually some kids that heard somebody yelling for help,” said Sgt. Eldon Packer with Utah County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue.
He said the man, who police did not identify, was lucky to have been noticed on an isolated trail in what had been less than ideal weather conditions overnight. (The hiker) was very cold and dehydrated having unexpectedly been forced to spend the night out in the elements, he said.
“He did not have the clothes or anything else that he would have needed to stay the night,” Packer said. “It appears he spent the night up there (having) injured his leg, and needed help getting down.”
The area where the hiker became trapped was surrounded by dense brush on a steeply inclined slope, he said.
“It was very brushy towards the bottom so it was problematic picking our way through the brush,” said Greg Beveridge with Utah County Search and Rescue.
Despite the rain, search and rescue teams were able to put the man in a rescue stretcher. Crews set up a “lowering system” to bring him down off the mountain where he received treatment for his injuries.
“He was a little dehydrated and also a little hypothermic,” Packer said. “Had he been out there for a much longer period of time, he definitely could have had some real trouble.”
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 103
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 21
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18