Both offenses faced tough defenses, but Utah’s offense was more polished, featured more weapons, and had a more accurate passer in Travis Wilson.
BYU’s most exciting play of the game came in the waning minutes when JD Falslev cut around Ute tacklers for a 58-yard punt return to Utah’s 14.
But once again, the Cougar offense was impotent, electing to run Michael Alisa on a third-and-7, then Hill threw behind Eric Thornton at the goal line on fourth down.
It was typical of the night.
Typical of the past four years in a losing streak to the Utes.
Later, Hill used a Eric Roe taunting penalty to get the Cougars to Utah’s 1 with 5:17 left in the game and the Cougars cut Utah’s lead to 20-13 on an Alisa dive play.
It was for pride.
Hill had a chance to drive the Cougars for a game-tying score with 2:47 left, but the drive ended on a fourth-down pick. He got another chance with 32 seconds and the ball at midfield, but the Cougars couldn't come up with anything.
BYU has until 2016 to find an answer, an offense and the proper pieces that can slap back at the Utes.
Saturday, the Cougars didn’t have it. Even retro uniforms couldn’t do it. The marketing department isn’t going to break this chain.
The Utes have a leash on the Cougars.
And Saturday, they took BYU for a walk.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 92
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 17