SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s soccer team dropped a 4-0 decision to Great Falls (Mont.) in the Frontier Conference opener for both teams at Dumke Field on Saturday afternoon.
The loss drops Westminster to 4-5 on the season and 0-1 in Frontier games. Great Falls moves to 6-3 overall and 1-0 in the league.
It took less than two minutes for UGF to break through as Luis Torres scored at the 1:44 mark of the opening half. Alex Mendez played the ball to Torres who scored the first goal of the game.
Just over three minutes later it was a Danny Delgadilo strike from 20 yards out that found the back of the net and gave the Argos the 2-0 lead less than five minutes into the contest. UGF maintained that advantage through halftime and would hold a 6-1 advantage in shots during the first 45 minutes.
The 69th minute is when Torres made it a double and gave the visitors a 3-0 cushion. Lewis Derret capped the day with a goal on the 75th minute.
Westminster got five shots off after halftime to finish with six for the contest. The Griffins put two of those on goal and also took 10 corner kicks.
Logan Butzier suffered the loss in goal for the Griffins. Keaton Gallegos made two saves coming off the bench.
The Griffins will be back in action on Friday when they welcome Rocky Mountain (Mont.) to town. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 4 p.m.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52