SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s soccer team dropped a 4-0 decision to Great Falls (Mont.) in the Frontier Conference opener for both teams at Dumke Field on Saturday afternoon.
The loss drops Westminster to 4-5 on the season and 0-1 in Frontier games. Great Falls moves to 6-3 overall and 1-0 in the league.
It took less than two minutes for UGF to break through as Luis Torres scored at the 1:44 mark of the opening half. Alex Mendez played the ball to Torres who scored the first goal of the game.
Just over three minutes later it was a Danny Delgadilo strike from 20 yards out that found the back of the net and gave the Argos the 2-0 lead less than five minutes into the contest. UGF maintained that advantage through halftime and would hold a 6-1 advantage in shots during the first 45 minutes.
The 69th minute is when Torres made it a double and gave the visitors a 3-0 cushion. Lewis Derret capped the day with a goal on the 75th minute.
Westminster got five shots off after halftime to finish with six for the contest. The Griffins put two of those on goal and also took 10 corner kicks.
Logan Butzier suffered the loss in goal for the Griffins. Keaton Gallegos made two saves coming off the bench.
The Griffins will be back in action on Friday when they welcome Rocky Mountain (Mont.) to town. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 4 p.m.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28