UVU cross-country: men finish third, women fifth at Montana State
BOZEMAN, Mont. — The Utah Valley University cross-country teams raced at the Bozeman Running Co/Montana State Invitational on Saturday at Bridger Creek Golf Course with the Wolverine men finishing third and the women fifth. Trac Norris led the men individually for the second straight race, coming in seventh overall. Darian Sharp finished 15th on the women's side to lead UVU.
"The men ran really well today. They're starting to get together as a team and build an identity," head coach Scott Houle said. "Trac has been consistent and is doing a great job for us and Chuk Mitchell, as a true freshman, was very impressive and it was a great showing for him. I feel really good about where we finished."
Norris, the reigning WAC Athlete of the Week, ran the five-mile course in 25:45. Mitchell finished 11th with a time of 26:02. Host Montana State won the team title, scoring 32 points just ahead of Utah State (35) with UVU (72) coming in third in the seven-team meet. Individually, the Bobcats also recorded the top two individual spots with Christan Soratos taking first with a time of 25:09.
Sharp's (18:05) 15th-place finish came two spots and two seconds in front of teammate Brooke Hodson-Davies (17th, 18:07) in the three mile race. Utah State took first as a team with 44 points while the Wolverines came in fifth in the eigth-team race. Heather Demorest of Montana State won the individual title with a time of 17:16.
"It was nice to see Darian running well again. She's feeling better and to have Brooke continue to step up for us is great," Houle said. "The biggest thing right now is we haven't had a consistent five and it's been a little unpredictable. It was somewhat a bit rough today in terms of the team score but we had some individuals show really well for us."
The Wolverines will have next week off to prepare for the Color Country Invitational at Southern Utah on Friday, Oct. 4. Saturday's meet marked the halfway point of the season in preparation for the WAC Championship on Nov. 2 in Seattle. The NCAA Mountain Regional will be Nov. 15 in Ogden, Utah.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top 10 at...
- Orem woman makes history by joining Army...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop twin bill at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines knock off No. 26...
- UVU softball: Utah Valley erupts for 25 runs...
- UVU track: Farrer, Gillespie pace Wolverines...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third... 0
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top... 0