Bill Quick, Deseret Digital Media
Bountiful took care of Layton in nonregion play 31-10. Both teams struggled offensively in the first quarter with Bountiful scoring first with a 22 yard field goal from Nels Haltom. Layton answered back with a 26 yard field goal from Christian Cook.
Just a minute and fifteen seconds later, Layton moved down field after a fourth and 2 conversion and then added a 35 yard catch and run touchdown pass to Hunter Evans from Mason Huff. The teams headed to the locker room at the half tied 10-10.
But the second half belonged to Bountiful. The Braves defense forced Layton quarterback out of the pocket multiple times which left the Lancers having to punt multiple times in the second half. Adding to the defensive effort was an interception from Sam Merrill, and solid linebacker play from Mitch Halverson and Max Latu.
With 5:56 to pay in the fourth quarter, Houston Heimuli broke away on a 22 yard run to set up the Braves next score. That touchdown came on the next play with a 1 yard run from Heimuli.
Bountiful capped off the win by pounding out another score behind a solid offensive line where Heimuli added a break-away 23 yard touchdown run.
Layton faces Syracuse next week, while Bountiful heads home against rival Woods Cross.
Bill Quick, an Idaho native, studied communications, history and business at the University of Utah. He is the Sr. Director of Marketplace Operations at Deseret Digital Media and Deseret Connect Contributor. Email him at email@example.com
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12