Utah State-USC: What Trojan fans think of the Aggies and quarterback Chuckie Keeton
“Can't wait for this one. The way (USC) handles Keeton will go a long way to predicting its success or lack thereof the rest of the way,” pebblepeachtroja wrote.
“If they lay the wood on Chuckie, USC will win. But if not, Utah State will win — and it might not be close,” KevinJPPark added. “Chuckie will be the best QB USC faces all year not in Westwood (UCLA’s Brett Hundley) — and he might actually be better than the guy in Westwood.”
“(USU coach) Matt Wells has said his game plan against USC, based on his advice from Gary Anderson, is to keep it close into the fourth quarter and then let Keeton be the play maker he is,” egrimwad4 wrote. “USC cannot let these guys hang around with overly conservative play calling.”
Some suggested that the USU game is an appropriate “barometer” for USC. Among another conversation, that was challenged sharply by Hillside on the Rivals.com site, who started a thread titled “This is Utah State — not the Third Reich.”
Hillside mentioned USU’s Cache Valley location (Logan, Utah), its lack of liquor stores open on Sundays and its agricultural nickname to belittle the program, adding that Gary Andersen, its “almost famous, quasi-noteworthy coach,” is now gone. Hillside also included links to USU’s last five recruiting classes on Scout.com, which shows that most Aggie recruits were rated two stars coming out of high school. USC routinely attracts recruits of at least a four-star caliber.
Hillside also included a picture at the end of a post starting the thread with a picture comparing a molehill (symbolizing USU) to a mountain (representing USC).
Several countered, saying that this Trojan team cannot take anyone lightly and that the Aggies have been impressive the past two seasons, with or without a BCS schedule. One high school coach wrote that a knowledge of X’s and O’s show that the Aggies will be a challenging opponent.
Hillside replied by saying he didn’t like how fans were “in awe” of Keeton and Company.
In a light-hearted manner, SC200SC wrote a narrative on USC.247Sports.com including a comment as to why USU truly will prove to be a real deal in the Coliseum.
“It would be a mistake to take the Aggies of Utah State lightly,” SC200SC wrote. “After all, four of the six students who have stuffed themselves into the Utah State ‘Big Blue Bull’ mascot costume have been drafted to be mascots for professional sports teams. What other university can make such a boast?”
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah Utes football live blog: No. 19 Utes...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16