Police say threatening phone call to school lands man in jail
MIDVALE — A man is behind bars after police say he showed up drunk at an elementary school and yelled at a teacher, then called later to say they were "lucky he wasn't a gun freak that would come shoot up the school."
Trent Catmull Davis, 31, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Thursday after police say he went to East Midvale Elementary, 6990 S 300 East, and confronted a teacher because he believed someone at the school had reported him to the Department of Children and Family Services, according to a probable cause statement.
Davis shouted at the teacher and pushed papers off the desk, Unified Police Det. Ken Hansen said. Davis has a history of alcohol-related traffic violations, Hansen said.
Davis walked into the school and did not stop at the office to check in, said Canyon School District spokesman Jeff Haney. A school psychologist saw Davis enter and followed him to the classroom, witnessed Davis' outburst, and together with the teacher managed to calm the man and escort him from the building, police said.
Davis confronted the teacher before school began and no students were in the classroom, though some were in the building, Haney said.
Haney said students and employees were not in danger at any time and called it an "isolated incident."
After Davis left the school, he returned home and called the school, telling administrators they were lucky he didn't have a gun, court records state.
The school temporarily asked the school to lock down as a precaution, Hansen said, until they arrested Davis at his home about an hour later.
Davis told police he went to the school "drunk and ran his mouth," according to court documents. He was booked for investigation of making terroristic threats, disorderly conduct, public intoxication and disrupting the operation of a school.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 33
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29