Police say threatening phone call to school lands man in jail
MIDVALE — A man is behind bars after police say he showed up drunk at an elementary school and yelled at a teacher, then called later to say they were "lucky he wasn't a gun freak that would come shoot up the school."
Trent Catmull Davis, 31, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Thursday after police say he went to East Midvale Elementary, 6990 S 300 East, and confronted a teacher because he believed someone at the school had reported him to the Department of Children and Family Services, according to a probable cause statement.
Davis shouted at the teacher and pushed papers off the desk, Unified Police Det. Ken Hansen said. Davis has a history of alcohol-related traffic violations, Hansen said.
Davis walked into the school and did not stop at the office to check in, said Canyon School District spokesman Jeff Haney. A school psychologist saw Davis enter and followed him to the classroom, witnessed Davis' outburst, and together with the teacher managed to calm the man and escort him from the building, police said.
Davis confronted the teacher before school began and no students were in the classroom, though some were in the building, Haney said.
Haney said students and employees were not in danger at any time and called it an "isolated incident."
After Davis left the school, he returned home and called the school, telling administrators they were lucky he didn't have a gun, court records state.
The school temporarily asked the school to lock down as a precaution, Hansen said, until they arrested Davis at his home about an hour later.
Davis told police he went to the school "drunk and ran his mouth," according to court documents. He was booked for investigation of making terroristic threats, disorderly conduct, public intoxication and disrupting the operation of a school.
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 8