Utah Highway Patrol
MONTICELLO — Prosecutors have filed manslaughter charges against a Texas man, alleging that his recklessness caused a crash south of Moab last month that killed three people and injured four others.
David Lewis is charged in 7th District Court with three counts of manslaughter, a second-degree felony. The charges stem from an Aug. 16 crash on U.S. 191 in San Juan County.
Lewis, 28, of Saginaw, Texas, was at the wheel of a Nissan Maxima when he tried to pass a tractor-trailer truck in a no-passing zone and touched off a four-car pileup, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Lewis' Nissan slammed into a Hyundai in the oncoming lane, then spun down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a Cadillac. The Cadillac went off the shoulder and came to a stop.
A Toyota traveling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision, but was hit by debris.
Juan Vidales, 54, also of Saginaw, was sitting in the front passenger seat of Lewis' car and was killed in the crash. His daughter and Lewis' girlfriend, 27-year-old Stephanie Vidales, of Saginaw, was in the back passenger seat. She was ejected from the car and also died.
A passenger in the Cadillac, 69-year-old Arthur Loewen of Perry, Ga., was killed as well.
Four other people, including Stephanie Vidales' 10-year-old daughter, were injured in the crash and taken to area hospitals.
Lewis is scheduled to make his first court appearance Oct. 21.
— Geoff Liesik
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 44
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 22
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- Western states to feds: Turn over... 14