Utah football notebook: Utes maintain focused approach during rivalry week
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It is, but it isn’t.
Although Utah coach Kyle Whittingham acknowledged everyone knew it was rivalry week, he insisted it was just business as usual up on the hill.
“It’s the same as every week like I’ve said. You’ve got to believe me on that,” Whittingham said at his weekly press conference on Monday. “I’m not trying to sit here and hide something or pretend. We treat it the same.”
It’s an approach, he added, that has worked for the Utes. They’ve won the last three games, as well as eight of the past 11 meetings against the Cougars.
“We’re just going to continue with the same m.o.,” Whittingham said.
The coach’s nephew, though, added a twist.
“You want to treat every game the same. You want to treat every opponent the same,” said Utah linebacker Jason Whittingham. “But we all know that BYU is maybe the most sought-after game of the year. We all want to do great in that game.”
WILSON’S DEVELOPMENT: Utah co-offensive coordinator Dennis Erickson was pleased with how quarterback Travis Wilson played in last week’s 51-48 overtime loss to Oregon State. The sophomore passed for 279 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 142 yards and three scores.
Aside from the three interceptions, which he noted weren’t all Wilson’s fault, Erickson said it was an outstanding performance. Wilson drew a lot of praise for being such a competitor with a will to win.
“I’m excited about his and our future with him at quarterback,” Erickson said.
GOING BACK: Three of Utah’s coaches — Whittingham, defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake and passing game coordinator Aaron Roderick — are former BYU players. Roderick, who played for the Cougars from 1997-98, said it’s not really much of a homecoming any more.
“It’s a big game, but it’s not weird to go back or weird to be on the opposing sideline any more. I’ve been through that enough times,” he said. “It was the first time, but that’s it. I got over that a long time ago.”
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Jazz suffer heartbreaking, last-second loss...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 30
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes... 27