Weber State football: Wildcats look to get back on track at McNeese State
LAKE CHARLES, La. — Following back-to-back blowout losses to Utah and Utah State, the Weber State Wildcats (1-2) are looking forward to getting back to FCS play Saturday night at No. 12 McNeese State (3-0).
The 'Cats were outscored 140-13 in their two games against in-state FBS teams, and their 64-point loss to Utah State ranks as the second worst loss in school history.
"I was disappointed in Saturday's game (against Utah State) because there was some bad football out there. We made mistakes on both sides of the ball, and we need to get (that corrected) and improve some things," head coach Jody Sears said.
Linebacker Anthony Morales' defensive performances this season have been bright spots for Weber State, which is giving up 60 points per game, ranking 113th in the nation.
Morales totaled 13 tackles in last Saturday's game at Utah State, despite sitting out the entire second half. Morales will need to continue his stellar play to help the 'Cats avenge last season's 35-21 loss to the Cowboys.
A total of 19 true freshmen and redshirt freshmen saw action in last Saturday's game at Utah State, and WSU will continue to look to its young players for big contributions Saturday night.
"We are excited to go down to Louisiana and play them. They are a very talented and well-coached football team. Last year, they made some big plays to beat us and we made some mistakes," Sears added.
The Wildcats and Cowboys kick off at 6 p.m. Saturday night at Cowboy Stadium.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- Position by position: Breaking down the...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 46
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 28
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23