Ask Angela: My friend is having an affair, calls me one of 'those Mormons'
I have a co-worker who is constantly talking about her latest love affair. When I say “love affair” I mean literally she is having an affair and her husband has no idea. She has mentioned to me several times that she hopes I’m not like “other Mormons” who are too prude to talk about the facts of life (facts of life being that people have extra-marital affairs). Those are her words not mine. But, to be honest, even I (and I do consider myself to be pretty liberal) don’t want to listen to stories of someone cheating on her husband. How can I communicate this to her without becoming the stereotypical Mormon in her eyes?
I’m sure there is a more delicate way to say this, but I think this woman’s opinion of you should be No. 5,786,000 on your list of things to worry about. After all, she's got her hands full.
Tell her straight up, “Hey, what you do in your life is your business, but I don’t like hearing about it. Sorry, I’m not sorry.”
Then if you feel like it, strike up a new conversation about something totally different so it doesn't feel awkward, either way be specific about how you're not into that type of conversation.
Also, don’t let people bully you with this line of "you're so prude" talk. If not being cool with adultery makes you a “stereotypical Mormon” then embrace the stereotype.
Readers: What's a "stereotypical Mormon" anyway?
For more "Ask Angela" visit the blog.
Angela Trusty is a millennial writer who lives and writes about the Latter-day Saint experience. Twitter: askange_column
- LDS missionary surprises mom with homecoming...
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon...
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's story...
- Newly announced 'Saturday's Warrior' cast to...
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Here's a crazy idea: Alex Boye and 'The Book...
- ... 62
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon... 40
- Obama bristles at anti-Semitism charges... 17
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding... 17
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's... 11
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos... 9
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:... 6