Webb says the objective of Scripture Mastery in seminaries and institutes is for young people to be able to rely on the teachings of the scriptures in a personal moment of need — and to be able to share their beliefs with others. For example, if a young person is questioned about the Mormon concept of God, he or she would be able to say, "I can explain to you my belief in the Godhead in my own words, and I have scriptures that I've memorized that I can use to teach and testify of those ideas."
Webb said the change in Scripture Mastery scriptures has been considered for several years, and has received input from several church departments and the Church Board of Education, which includes members of the LDS First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and church auxiliary leaders. They also received input from youth focus groups and current seminary teachers.
"We tried to determine what would be best for our seminary and institute students," Webb said. "We wanted to determine what scripture references would best help young people be able to understand the doctrines of the church, and teach those doctrines to others."
Webb added that it is hoped that the Scripture Mastery scriptures will bless the lives of young people of the church by bringing "these truths to their remembrance in times of need, and giving them courage to act in faith."
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Reader voices: Memories of the Golden Toaster...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- LDS Church History Symposium presenter tells...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 117
- British judge hears arguments in case... 51
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to... 22
- Calif. city torn by multiple fights... 17
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of... 13
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as... 9
- Which bible do Americans read most? 9