Dick Harmon: A positive twist in the BYU-Utah rivalry surfaces
“This isn’t something Utah or BYU is doing, it’s a fan thing, and that’s probably the best thing about it,” said Matthew Sanders, who has worked with Te’o in organizing the effort.
“This rivalry won’t be back for a few years. This is a way to end it temporarily on a high note,” said Brown.
To honor Gaius Vaenuku and fund a scholarship in his name, fans can purchase a GKV leadership wristband on KSL.com. All proceeds go directly to the scholarship fund.
Now it's time for this week’s predictions.
Last week I would have been perfect if my pick of Utah over Oregon State didn’t end in a Ute overtime loss and if Wisconsin had indeed defeated ASU instead of having that controversial Pac-12 officiating crew mess up at the end of the game.
Kansas State 24, Texas 21: Until the Longhorns start tackling, they’ll be suspect in every game.
LSU 28, Auburn 21: Look for the Tigers to hold serve in one of the toughest places to play, their own den.
Texas A&M 45, Southern Methodist 17: Johnny Football continues to put up insane numbers.
Stanford 28, Arizona State 21: After beating San Jose State and Army, the Cardinal need to hold the Sun Devils accountable. Pac 12 officials will be cross-eyed.
Utah State 17, USC 14: OK, I’m creeping out on the end of the limb. Aggies in a stunner.
Wisconsin 28, Purdue 17: Gary Andersen’s guys have to be fuming after leaving Tempe, Ariz.
Notre Dame 24, Michigan State 21: The Fighting Irish take to the air and put a blemish on the Spartans for the first time this season.
Florida 32, Tennessee 21: The Vols are still looking to recover after being blasted by Oregon.
BYU 24, Utah 21: Is this the game BYU will not hike a ball for a Ute touchdown? Look for BYU’s front seven to pressure Travis Wilson consistently. That will be the difference.
Last week 8-2; Overall 15-6 (.714)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Guest commentary: BYU football and basketball...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 15
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12