BYU football notebook: BYU aiming for a state championship
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Being an independent, BYU has no conference championship to play for — which makes Saturday’s game against Utah even more important.
The Cougars are aiming for a state championship.
In order to achieve that, BYU must beat Utah, then defeat Utah State on Oct. 4 in Logan.
“I think the state championship is really important, being independent, especially,” said coach Bronco Mendenhall. “Our players have made that something they value. I support that and I’d love to help them do that. If you can win the state, that’s a nice springboard to national prominence because there is some good football in the state.”
“It means a lot, especially for the team,” senior defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna said of the rivalry. “One of our biggest goals is to win the state. We know this is a big challenge for us. It’s been a challenge for a lot of years. There’s a lot at stake.”
MEMORY LANE: While the Cougars have lost three straight games to Utah, Manumaleuna has been part of one win over the Utes — way back in 2007.
“I was a freshman, my first experience for me in the rivalry game. It was physical and challenging,” he recalled. “I remember the 4th-and-18 play, with Max Hall and Austin Collie. I was celebrating. The year before we won at the last second. You don’t settle down at all until the clock hits zero. It’s going to be a challenging game and it might go down to the wire. If we prepare better than they do, we’ll come out on top.”
THE BREAK: After Saturday’s game, the BYU-Utah series will take a two-year hiatus for the first time since the 1940s, when BYU did not field a team from 1943-45 due to World War II. The series will resume in 2016 at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 18