USU volleyball: Utah State heads to Boise State for first league road match Saturday
LOGAN — In its first Mountain West road match, as well as the second leg of a home-and-home with Boise State, Utah State volleyball will play at Boise, Idaho, on Saturday, Sept. 21. First serve from BSU's Bronco Gym is slated for 7 p.m. MT.
The Aggies improved to 7-4 overall and 1-0 in MW action with a sweep over the Broncos (25-17, 25-21, 25-20) on Wednesday night in Logan in USU's inaugural Mountain West match. In Wednesday's match, senior outside hitter Tumua Etimani (Richardson, Texas) led the squad with a career-high .526 attack percentage (10-0-19) in posting her sixth match with double-double kills this season. Sophomore opposite side hitter Elle Brainard (Saratoga Springs, Utah) led USU with 11 kills, while junior middle blocker Kaitlyn VanHoff (Draper, Utah) also posted 10 kills.
Senior middle blocker Alyssa Everett (Perry, Utah) led all players with a career-high 10 blocks assists, just two less than the Broncos had as a team. Brainard also added eight block assists as the Aggies ended the sweep with 15.0 team blocks, recording double-digit blocks for the sixth time in last seven matches and eighth time overall.
The Aggies’ blocking attack limited BSU to a .055 (34-28-109) attack percentage, a new season-low for an Aggie opponent, and it was also the second time holding the opposition under .100. USU hit .281 (39-14-89) for the match.
Utah State is currently sixth in the MW in hitting percentage (.213), as well as third in the conference in opponent hitting percentage (.189), paced by ranking fourth in the conference in blocks (2.48 bps). USU is tied for fifth in digs (14.41 dpg).
Boise State evened its overall record at 5-5 and 0-1 in MW action with the loss Wednesday. The Broncos are 2-1 at home this season.
Utah State has won 15 of the last 18 meetings, including winning the last 10 in a row in Logan. Boise State has won the last two meetings in Boise, but Utah State has won five of the last eight meetings there.
Live stats for Saturday's match at Boise State will be available on USU's athletic website.
Live video for the Aggies match against the Broncos on Saturday will also be available online through the Aggies’ Mountain West Network channel which can also be accessed from USU's website.
Utah State continues road action next week at Fresno State on Thursday, Sept. 26, and at San José State on Saturday, Sept. 28, before returning home to host New Mexico on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 7 p.m.
Utah State volleyball tickets are available by contacting the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- Deseret News Sports Podcast: Talking Utah,...
- Morning links: Calipari's subtle jab at Salt...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 71
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 37
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27