Steve Helber, Associated Press
It was the battle of a century Wednesday night as nine congressman and nine journalists faced off in a spelling bee.
This spelling bee event was held as a celebration of Washington, D.C., history and for the benefit of the Press Club’s non-profit Journalism institute. The participating congressman included Senators Tim Kaine, D-Va.; Chris Coons, D-Del.; Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Chris Murphy, D-Conn., along with Representatives Matt Cartwright, D-Pa.; Gerry Connolly, D-Va.; Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.; Ted Deutch, D-Fla., and Anna Eshoo, D-Calif.
The evening was filled with instigation, laughter, and fun as the evening kicked off with comedian’s like Mark Russell making fun of Anthony Weiner to Senator Flake misspelling the word “shenanigans” and blaming it on his Mormon upbringing.
Other spelling hiccups included:
“Could CBS turn off the cameras?” Garrett asked before his vaccination snafu.
“Could you spell that in a sentence please?” Coons asked, before missing silhouette.
“Can you use it in a limerick?” Kaine asked of exacerbate.
Unfortunately for the journalists, they were only able to win the title of team winner as they took 38 points to 36 points over the congressman. They lost the individual title to Kaine to which the journalists have vowed to take back the title in the next 100 years.
Read more about Senator Tim Kaine Is Officially the 'Best Speller in the United on TIME.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12