Steve Helber, Associated Press
It was the battle of a century Wednesday night as nine congressman and nine journalists faced off in a spelling bee.
This spelling bee event was held as a celebration of Washington, D.C., history and for the benefit of the Press Club’s non-profit Journalism institute. The participating congressman included Senators Tim Kaine, D-Va.; Chris Coons, D-Del.; Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Chris Murphy, D-Conn., along with Representatives Matt Cartwright, D-Pa.; Gerry Connolly, D-Va.; Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.; Ted Deutch, D-Fla., and Anna Eshoo, D-Calif.
The evening was filled with instigation, laughter, and fun as the evening kicked off with comedian’s like Mark Russell making fun of Anthony Weiner to Senator Flake misspelling the word “shenanigans” and blaming it on his Mormon upbringing.
Other spelling hiccups included:
“Could CBS turn off the cameras?” Garrett asked before his vaccination snafu.
“Could you spell that in a sentence please?” Coons asked, before missing silhouette.
“Can you use it in a limerick?” Kaine asked of exacerbate.
Unfortunately for the journalists, they were only able to win the title of team winner as they took 38 points to 36 points over the congressman. They lost the individual title to Kaine to which the journalists have vowed to take back the title in the next 100 years.
Read more about Senator Tim Kaine Is Officially the 'Best Speller in the United on TIME.
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- FACT CHECK: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- Union: Ferguson officer does not expect charges
- President Obama's immigration speech Thursday...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 54
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 53
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 17
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- Japan slides into recession as tax hike... 14