Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY —The Beehive State jobless rate held steady last month.
The state Department of Workforce Services reported Friday that Utah’s nonfarm payroll employment for August 2013 grew by an estimated 2.7 percent, adding 33,200 jobs to the economy compared to August 2012. The state’s current employment level registered at 1,283,700.
The August seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate increased 0.01 percent from July to 4.7 percent. Approximately 65,300 individuals were considered to be unemployed and actively seeking work, the report states. The national jobless rate fell one-tenth to 7.3 percent for the month.
Department of Workforce Services chief economist Carrie Mayne said Utah’s rate of job growth dropped noticeably from last month to a rate that is below Utah’s long-run average of 3.1 percent. While the unemployment rate increased, so too did the number of employed individuals and the total number of workers in the labor force, she explained.
All of the 11 private sector industries observed posted net job increases in August as compared to last year, the report said. The largest increases were in trade, transportation and utilities, which added 10,500 jobs; leisure and hospitality — which added 6,800 jobs; along with education and health adding 5,500 jobs. However, government employment overall contracted by 6,200 jobs during the same period, the report states.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35