NCAA Football 14 has a new-game feel and gives couch-potato quarterbacks more control over their coaches and teams. The game has an added element of physics as players deal with true weight and momentum in a fast-paced, hard-hitting game. Loading times are not as long. There are changes to the overall presentation, along with new features.
Yet the game has an old familiar look and feel to it. It's still fun and realistic, but the basic elements haven't changed.
Developer EA Tiburon not only improved the physics and force impact on both sides of the football, but adjusted the running game to include hard cutting, direction changes, improved run blocking and ball carrier mobility. The game has new big hits and stiff arms galore.
Choose any team in the country and run the latest read-option offense, then scramble against gravity to gain a few extra yards.
There's new commentary from ESPN announcers like Rece Davis, Brad Nessler and Kirk Herbstreit. Fan chants have also been added to the overall stadium atmosphere, fight songs and mascot antics.
NCAA Football 14 allows players to build a team from a collection of more than 2,500 licensed former NCAA athletes in "Ultimate Team" mode.
Even so, with all the new flashy features, NCAA Football 14 feels like previous PS3 versions. It must be hard to innovate a game that already has practically everything.
Regardless, the game is still very fun to play. You still feel like you are in the game as you take in the sounds of the field, look over the defense, call an audible and stun the defense with a big play.
I doubt that will never change.
Actually, NCAA Football in its current form may become a collector's item since the NCAA has said it will no longer allow Electronic Arts Inc. to use its logo starting next year. The move ends a lucrative partnership and "comes as the NCAA fights a high-profile lawsuit that says the governing body owes billions of dollars to former players for allowing their likenesses to be used for free," according to the Associated Press.
Game: NCAA Football 14
Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
ESRB rating: E for everyone
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- John Lennon audio interviews surface on 'I'm...
- Ranking movies from best to worst
- Religious-themed films find home in Hollywood
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9
- Sugar House fireworks show will go on... 6
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Daughters and... 3
- 'Biggest Loser' casting call to be in... 3
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises... 3
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on... 3
- Ranking movies from best to worst 3
- 'Captain Underpants' tops list of last... 2