24 of the most overrated (and underrated) jobs in America
Some majors just aren’t practical, the researcher claimed, and students should do the research to know which majors will land them in stable, well-paying jobs.
But a follow-up report by NPR’s Lisa Chow added some nuance to the discussion. Chow contextualized the data, showing that many women (and men, for that matter) were consciously choosing to seek out professions that didn’t pay as much, but have a higher rate of job satisfaction.
Is that reasonable? What should be looked for in a new job? Is there truly more to a career than median pay?
While compiling a list of the most underrated, and overrated, jobs in America, CareerCast.com decided to factor in some of the intangible elements of a career. Sure, a healthy median salary is desirable, but so is the potential for career growth.
By combining information from their 2013 Jobs Rated report, which measured both the physical and emotional components of any given career, and income data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, CareerCast distinguished 24 career paths that are either overlooked or overexposed.
Of course, jobs analysis such as this — even with the help of data — is ultimately subjective, as CareerCast is quick to point out on their website.
Nevertheless, such a list can prove to be very helpful for those looking for a career path that serves more than just their financial needs.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Clean up your finances by tossing paper,...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- The best (and worst) states when it comes to...
- The economy has begun to recover, but mostly...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- 11 jobs that need women ... and men 15
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 3
- Why separate bank accounts might help... 2
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 1