24 of the most overrated (and underrated) jobs in America
Some majors just aren’t practical, the researcher claimed, and students should do the research to know which majors will land them in stable, well-paying jobs.
But a follow-up report by NPR’s Lisa Chow added some nuance to the discussion. Chow contextualized the data, showing that many women (and men, for that matter) were consciously choosing to seek out professions that didn’t pay as much, but have a higher rate of job satisfaction.
Is that reasonable? What should be looked for in a new job? Is there truly more to a career than median pay?
While compiling a list of the most underrated, and overrated, jobs in America, CareerCast.com decided to factor in some of the intangible elements of a career. Sure, a healthy median salary is desirable, but so is the potential for career growth.
By combining information from their 2013 Jobs Rated report, which measured both the physical and emotional components of any given career, and income data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, CareerCast distinguished 24 career paths that are either overlooked or overexposed.
Of course, jobs analysis such as this — even with the help of data — is ultimately subjective, as CareerCast is quick to point out on their website.
Nevertheless, such a list can prove to be very helpful for those looking for a career path that serves more than just their financial needs.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 13
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 7
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,... 1