LOGAN — Utah State soccer (4-1-2) travels to Salt Lake City on Friday, Sept. 20, to face Utah at Ute Soccer Field at 7:30 p.m. The match is part of UYSA Club Night.
Utah holds a 10-4 record overall against Utah State. Despite the Utes holding a commanding lead overall in the series, the Aggies have won three of the last four meetings. In 14 meetings, Utah State has never earned a victory against Utah in Salt Lake City. Last season, USU edged out Utah, 1-0, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. It was the second time the Aggies have defeated the Utes at Rio Tinto, also winning, 2-1, in 2009.
The Utes are 3-1-3 this season, last defeating Weber State, 4-0, on Sept. 15. Utah also has wins over Western Kentucky and Southern Utah. The Utes also battled Cal State Fullerton to a 0-0 draw in Fullerton, which USU also did in the Aggies’ last match on Sept. 15.
Three different players have seen time in goal for the Utes this season. Lindsey Luke has started three matches, while Cheyanne Mulcock has started four. Luke has three shutouts, while Mulcock has one. Baylee Nielsen leads the team in scoring with three goals and one assist for seven points. Katie Taylor and Allie Wisner have three goals apiece for six points this season.
USU sophomore goalkeeper Jeannie Woller is first in the Mountain West in save percentage (.857). She is also tied for first in shutouts (4) and second in saves per game (6.00). She is fourth in the MW in goals against average (0.94). Junior defender Taryn Rose is seventh in the league in points scored with six. Wyoming’s Lucie McDowell is first in the MW in points with 10 off five goals.
As a team, Utah State is third in goals scored with 12, as well third in points with 30. Wyoming leads the MW in points scored with 39. The Aggies also stand third in goals against average (0.94), behind Boise State (0.69) and UNLV (0.94).
Following the match against the Utes, the Aggies return home to Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field on Sunday, Sept. 22, to take on another in-state rival, Weber State, at 1 p.m. Admission is free.
Live stats for both matches, as well as streaming for the home match against Weber State, will be available through USU's athletic website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50