USU tennis: men's team begins fall season at Weber State Fall Invitational on Friday
LOGAN — Utah State men's tennis team travels to Ogden, Utah, to compete in the Weber State Fall Invitational, the team's first competition of the fall.
Play begins Friday, Sept. 20, and concludes Sunday, Sept. 22. Idaho State and Montana State join USU and Weber State at the Invitational.
"I'm excited to begin our fall season and to embark on our journey toward the mountain top," USU head coach Clancy Shields said. "Our players have been itching to compete since we started practicing, and this tournament will be a great indicator of where we are and where we need to be."
The Aggies return seniors Fredrik Peterson, Matt Thatcher and Andrew Whiting. Also returning to the men's team are juniors Marcus Fritz, Sean Levesque, Matt Sweet and Curran Wearmouth. New to this year's team are freshmen Dennis Baumgartner and Sebastian Schneider.
Last season, Sweet won 11 matches, while Levesque and Peterson won six out of their nine doubles matches as partners.
This is Sheilds' first season as men's head coach and the first season Utah State will not have co-head coaches splitting time between the men's and women's team. Shields comes to Utah State after serving as an assistant coach at Boise State, where the Broncos won back-to-back Mountain West Championships in 2012 and 2013. Shields added former Aggie Sven Poslusny as an assistant coach to complete his staff.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- BYU football: Kai Nacua looking forward after...
- Utes begin final road swing at Washington State
- Utes struggle, survive scare but eventually...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 30
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes... 27
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after... 24