USU tennis: men's team begins fall season at Weber State Fall Invitational on Friday
LOGAN — Utah State men's tennis team travels to Ogden, Utah, to compete in the Weber State Fall Invitational, the team's first competition of the fall.
Play begins Friday, Sept. 20, and concludes Sunday, Sept. 22. Idaho State and Montana State join USU and Weber State at the Invitational.
"I'm excited to begin our fall season and to embark on our journey toward the mountain top," USU head coach Clancy Shields said. "Our players have been itching to compete since we started practicing, and this tournament will be a great indicator of where we are and where we need to be."
The Aggies return seniors Fredrik Peterson, Matt Thatcher and Andrew Whiting. Also returning to the men's team are juniors Marcus Fritz, Sean Levesque, Matt Sweet and Curran Wearmouth. New to this year's team are freshmen Dennis Baumgartner and Sebastian Schneider.
Last season, Sweet won 11 matches, while Levesque and Peterson won six out of their nine doubles matches as partners.
This is Sheilds' first season as men's head coach and the first season Utah State will not have co-head coaches splitting time between the men's and women's team. Shields comes to Utah State after serving as an assistant coach at Boise State, where the Broncos won back-to-back Mountain West Championships in 2012 and 2013. Shields added former Aggie Sven Poslusny as an assistant coach to complete his staff.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Morning links: Were the Utes the latest...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 60
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34