USU tennis: men's team begins fall season at Weber State Fall Invitational on Friday
LOGAN — Utah State men's tennis team travels to Ogden, Utah, to compete in the Weber State Fall Invitational, the team's first competition of the fall.
Play begins Friday, Sept. 20, and concludes Sunday, Sept. 22. Idaho State and Montana State join USU and Weber State at the Invitational.
"I'm excited to begin our fall season and to embark on our journey toward the mountain top," USU head coach Clancy Shields said. "Our players have been itching to compete since we started practicing, and this tournament will be a great indicator of where we are and where we need to be."
The Aggies return seniors Fredrik Peterson, Matt Thatcher and Andrew Whiting. Also returning to the men's team are juniors Marcus Fritz, Sean Levesque, Matt Sweet and Curran Wearmouth. New to this year's team are freshmen Dennis Baumgartner and Sebastian Schneider.
Last season, Sweet won 11 matches, while Levesque and Peterson won six out of their nine doubles matches as partners.
This is Sheilds' first season as men's head coach and the first season Utah State will not have co-head coaches splitting time between the men's and women's team. Shields comes to Utah State after serving as an assistant coach at Boise State, where the Broncos won back-to-back Mountain West Championships in 2012 and 2013. Shields added former Aggie Sven Poslusny as an assistant coach to complete his staff.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8