USU tennis: women's team competes in Jack Taylor Tennis Classic on Friday
LOGAN — Utah State women's tennis team travels to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Jack Taylor Tennis Classic starting Friday, Sept. 20, and finishing Sunday, Sept. 22.
The tournament, which also includes Boise State, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Idaho State, Washington State, Seattle, Abilene Christian, Weber State and Eastern Washington, is structured as a flighted singles and doubles draw.
"We are very excited to be starting our fall season in Boise," USU head coach Sean McInerney said. "It is a great opportunity for us to improve and come together as a team. This weekend will give us a look at where we are and what we need to improve upon heading into the rest of our fall schedule."
The Aggies return juniors McKenzie Davis and Hillary Hays, along with sophomores Kallie Sperry, Amber Stuhlmann and Ashley Stuhlmann. Utah State adds newcomers Cassidy Branstine, Nini Guensler, Katie Sweet and Lexi Turley.
Last season, Davis went 23-6, including winning eight of her last ten matches. Sperry won nine doubles matches last season.
This is McInerney's first season as women's head coach and the first season Utah State will not have co-head coaches splitting time between the men's and women's team. McInerney comes to Utah State after serving as the head coach at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he won the Horizon League Coach of the Year the last two seasons. McInerney added Jaci West as a graduate assistant coach to complete his staff.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Dream season ends in heartbreak for Utah...
- CougarLinks: Branden Bowen talks about...
- Utes set to close out spring camp with...
- Runnin' Utes to host Wichita State on Dec. 3
- BYU men's volleyball: BYU opens MPSF...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 91
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 55
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 51
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: QB Ammon Olsen's move from... 14
- Whittingham supports university's new... 14