USU tennis: women's team competes in Jack Taylor Tennis Classic on Friday
LOGAN — Utah State women's tennis team travels to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Jack Taylor Tennis Classic starting Friday, Sept. 20, and finishing Sunday, Sept. 22.
The tournament, which also includes Boise State, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Idaho State, Washington State, Seattle, Abilene Christian, Weber State and Eastern Washington, is structured as a flighted singles and doubles draw.
"We are very excited to be starting our fall season in Boise," USU head coach Sean McInerney said. "It is a great opportunity for us to improve and come together as a team. This weekend will give us a look at where we are and what we need to improve upon heading into the rest of our fall schedule."
The Aggies return juniors McKenzie Davis and Hillary Hays, along with sophomores Kallie Sperry, Amber Stuhlmann and Ashley Stuhlmann. Utah State adds newcomers Cassidy Branstine, Nini Guensler, Katie Sweet and Lexi Turley.
Last season, Davis went 23-6, including winning eight of her last ten matches. Sperry won nine doubles matches last season.
This is McInerney's first season as women's head coach and the first season Utah State will not have co-head coaches splitting time between the men's and women's team. McInerney comes to Utah State after serving as the head coach at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he won the Horizon League Coach of the Year the last two seasons. McInerney added Jaci West as a graduate assistant coach to complete his staff.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Morning links: Were the Utes the latest...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35