Search for man believed drowned at Holmes Creek Reservoir now a recovery effort, officials say
Courtesy of KSL
LAYTON — Search and rescue crews have declared the search for a man believed to have drowned while swimming across Holmes Creek Reservoir a recovery operation.
The 20-year-old was swimming about 4:30 p.m. with two friends — an 18-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man — when he said he didn't think he was going to make it across and went under the water, Layton Police Lt. Shawn Horton said.
"The other male he was with tried to get him back out of the water but couldn't," Horton said. "We don't believe he could have gotten out any place that we would have missed him. We think he's under the water and we'll keep searching until we find him."
Nearly a dozen search teams, including five divers, were searching the reservoir at 2450 Valley View Drive, Horton said.
The search was suspended just before 9 p.m. when it became too dark for crews to continue, a spokesman for Layton City reported. With visibility "near zero," teams used a generator and lights to continue searching after darkness fell.
Efforts will resume about 6:30 a.m. Friday, with assistance from dive teams from Davis and Weber Counties.
The man's name was not released.
— McKenzie Romero
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16