But there it was.
Mike McCoy, who led Utah to 34-31 wins over BYU in 1993-94, is now head coach of the San Diego Chargers.
“Time flies by. It’s amazing how quickly it goes. That seems like yesterday,” he said in a telephone interview on Thursday.
Whatever fueled him to become a head coach in the NFL must have been present then, because he claims he was confident in his team’s ability.
“I think even in 1993-94 we had a lot of confidence in the players that were there,” McCoy said. “It was a good football team, well-coach. Coach (Ron) McBride was a leader and we believed in what we had planned. We had no doubt we were going to win those games.”
McCoy took over the Chargers this year after Norv Turner was fired following a 7-9 season. They lost their opener against Houston by three points but beat Philadelphia by the same margin.
Though McCoy doesn’t closely follow his college team, for obvious reasons, he was aware on Thursday that this is rivalry week. He noted that the 34-31 score of both the ’93 and ’94 games “comes up often whenever the (rivalry) game comes around.”
Asked where he thinks the Utah-BYU rivalry is headed, in light of a two-year layoff before resuming in 2016, he said he doesn’t know all the nuances, but added, “I’m not sure why it would get any smaller. For true Ute fans, besides the other fans down south, it’s always a big game, speaking for Utah.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33