But there it was.
Mike McCoy, who led Utah to 34-31 wins over BYU in 1993-94, is now head coach of the San Diego Chargers.
“Time flies by. It’s amazing how quickly it goes. That seems like yesterday,” he said in a telephone interview on Thursday.
Whatever fueled him to become a head coach in the NFL must have been present then, because he claims he was confident in his team’s ability.
“I think even in 1993-94 we had a lot of confidence in the players that were there,” McCoy said. “It was a good football team, well-coach. Coach (Ron) McBride was a leader and we believed in what we had planned. We had no doubt we were going to win those games.”
McCoy took over the Chargers this year after Norv Turner was fired following a 7-9 season. They lost their opener against Houston by three points but beat Philadelphia by the same margin.
Though McCoy doesn’t closely follow his college team, for obvious reasons, he was aware on Thursday that this is rivalry week. He noted that the 34-31 score of both the ’93 and ’94 games “comes up often whenever the (rivalry) game comes around.”
Asked where he thinks the Utah-BYU rivalry is headed, in light of a two-year layoff before resuming in 2016, he said he doesn’t know all the nuances, but added, “I’m not sure why it would get any smaller. For true Ute fans, besides the other fans down south, it’s always a big game, speaking for Utah.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27