18 years later, police say a murder mystery is solved
Simpson spent a short time in jail in Nevada before being extradited back to Utah to serve his sentence at the Utah State Prison in June of 1997, Gehrke said. Simpson was paroled again in September of 1997, and completed parole in 2003.
Simpson has been living in Florida for 13 or 14 years, the sheriff's office said. But Utah state court records show that Simpson was in Utah as recently as 2010 when he received a minor traffic citation in Syracuse.
Until the DNA connection was made, Simpson had never been considered a suspect in the case, Bonner said. Investigators believe Beslanowitch dissappeared from North Temple, but offered few details about how she encountered Simpson or ended up in Wasatch County.
Beslanowitch grew up in Spokane, Wash. Her mother, Linde Toreson, told the Deseret News in 1996 that her daughter was involved with drugs and was prostituting by age 15.
"Every time she came home she had her arms spread out wide and a big smile on her face. I never refused her. I always loved her,'' Toreson said then. "Whatever she was doing (she thought) was more important than living a normal life.''
Beslanowitch and her boyfriend had moved to Utah from Spokane just a few months earlier. He reported her missing two days after she failed to return from a late-night trip to a Salt Lake convenience store.
This week, Bonner made a phone call 18 years in the making, to a mother and her husband, concerning a daughter.
"(They were) very relieved, very emotional, very happy that this is moving forward," he said.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 300
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 143
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 35