Honesty rewarded: Homeless man gets $98,000 after turning in money-filled backpack
Steven Senne, Associated Press
On Monday, Boston police presented Glen James a certificate for doing the right thing and turning in a backpack laden with $2,400 cash and nearly $40,000 in traveler’s checks.
The story made national headlines because James is homeless. When a stranger in Virginia read accounts of James’ honesty, he started an online fund for James. By Thursday morning, that fund had raised $97,889 in donations.
“A stranger, Ethan Whittington, started a fund for James on the crowd funding site gofundme.com,” the Associated Press reported Thursday. “ Whittington, a 27-year-old from Midlothian, Va., who is an accounts manager for a marketing firm, said he decided to try to raise money for James after reading about his honesty. Now Whittington says he's overwhelmed by the generosity of strangers.”
James’ honesty calls to mind a 2011 episode involving then-Deseret News artist Josh Ferrin. After buying his first house Ferrin found more than $45,000 cash in the attic; he gave all the money to the previous owners, who had no knowledge that years earlier their deceased father had stashed the money away.
Unlike James, Ferrin received zero monetary remuneration for voluntarily returning beaucoup cash. However, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir did recognize Ferrin with a segment on “Music and the Spoken Word.”
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Trump's closer is over, Clinton set to snag...
- Ex-KKK leader David Duke says he plans to run...
- Police give all-clear in Munich shooting; say...
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in crisis
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Ex-KKK leader David Duke runs for Senate: 'My...
- AP source: Clinton's choice for VP to be...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 41
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 32
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 30
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Hillary Clinton selects running mate... 19