Must-know facts and stats going into the BYU-Utah football game
Deseret News photo
Excitement, anticipation, banter and trash talk are buzzing in the Beehive State. The BYU-Utah rivalry continues Saturday, Sept. 21, at 8:15 p.m. MDT in Provo.
Regardless of past outcomes, no matter what the streaks and stats and records are, each new contest is a fresh chapter in which anything can happen. Since the Utes and Cougars won’t meet again until 2016, bragging rights for the next three years are on the line.
But more than that is at stake. A win for Utah will give it renewed confidence as it resumes Pac-12 play, following a disappointing loss at home to Oregon State on Sept. 14. A win for BYU will likewise increase its confidence as it looks ahead to the remainder of the season. And of course, a win for either team puts it one step closer to qualifying for a bowl game.
Over the years, the faces of coaches and players change, but the rivalry between these two squads remains constantly intense. Here are 10 facts about the rivalry going into Saturday’s showdown.
Michael Chase is a graduate of Dixie State University and Deseret News contributor. He is the owner of Mike's Professional Editing LLC, which provides proofreading and audio transcription services. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 123
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 76
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 55
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33