BYU, Utah Rivalry notebook: In rivalry history, kickers have written some critical chapters
"I would love it. I'm feeling confident with the way I'm kicking right now and for it to come down to that would be so exciting,” said Sorensen. “Those are the kind of moments you live for as a kicker. That's the situation you always hope to be in, so I'd love that."
Phillips echoes those sentiments.
“There is no real bad situation in my mind,” Phillips said. “If it’s a game-winner or a 17-yard chip-shot with a weird angle, hopefully we’ll practice all of those this week.”
UTAH NOTES: The Utes have won the last three rivalry games, including a 54-10 decision at LaVell Edwards Stadium in 2011. In 19 years with Kyle Whittingham on the coaching staff, Utah is 12-7 against BYU — including a 5-3 mark in his tenure as the head coach. The Utes were just 2-13 against the Cougars over a 15-year period prior to his arrival on the hill. Travis Wilson’s 142 yards rushing against Oregon State were the most by a Utah quarterback since Floyd Hodge netted 179 against Wyoming in 1979 and the first 100-yard game since Brett Ratliff had 112 in his first start against BYU in 2005.
BYU NOTES: BYU wide receiver Cody Hoffman needs three touchdowns, 475 yards and 17 receptions to become the school's all-time leader in each of those categories. Both the Cougars and Utes will wear their home jerseys Saturday, with BYU donning its royal blue uniforms. Over the past 15 games, BYU's defense has allowed only seven rushing touchdowns to rank No. 3 nationally among all teams over that stretch. Only Michigan State and Notre Dame have allowed fewer. Since 2010, when coach Bronco Mendenhall took over the defense, the Cougars have held 25 out of 36 teams to under 300 yards of total offense. In those 25 games, BYU owns a 19-6 record.
Contributing: Dirk Facer, Jeff Call and Brandon Gurney
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21