BYU, Utah Rivalry notebook: In rivalry history, kickers have written some critical chapters
"I would love it. I'm feeling confident with the way I'm kicking right now and for it to come down to that would be so exciting,” said Sorensen. “Those are the kind of moments you live for as a kicker. That's the situation you always hope to be in, so I'd love that."
Phillips echoes those sentiments.
“There is no real bad situation in my mind,” Phillips said. “If it’s a game-winner or a 17-yard chip-shot with a weird angle, hopefully we’ll practice all of those this week.”
UTAH NOTES: The Utes have won the last three rivalry games, including a 54-10 decision at LaVell Edwards Stadium in 2011. In 19 years with Kyle Whittingham on the coaching staff, Utah is 12-7 against BYU — including a 5-3 mark in his tenure as the head coach. The Utes were just 2-13 against the Cougars over a 15-year period prior to his arrival on the hill. Travis Wilson’s 142 yards rushing against Oregon State were the most by a Utah quarterback since Floyd Hodge netted 179 against Wyoming in 1979 and the first 100-yard game since Brett Ratliff had 112 in his first start against BYU in 2005.
BYU NOTES: BYU wide receiver Cody Hoffman needs three touchdowns, 475 yards and 17 receptions to become the school's all-time leader in each of those categories. Both the Cougars and Utes will wear their home jerseys Saturday, with BYU donning its royal blue uniforms. Over the past 15 games, BYU's defense has allowed only seven rushing touchdowns to rank No. 3 nationally among all teams over that stretch. Only Michigan State and Notre Dame have allowed fewer. Since 2010, when coach Bronco Mendenhall took over the defense, the Cougars have held 25 out of 36 teams to under 300 yards of total offense. In those 25 games, BYU owns a 19-6 record.
Contributing: Dirk Facer, Jeff Call and Brandon Gurney
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20