ST GEORGE — Utah Highway Patrol troopers recovered a 5-month-old Arizona girl who was reported to have been kidnapped by her father when they stopped the man's car four miles over the state line on I-15.
Jeff Green, 47, was arrested and his daughter Aleeha was taken into state custody until family members could arrive, the UHP confirmed.
Green, who has no custodial rights, took the child from her mother's home in Yuma, Ariz., just before 10 p.m. Tuesday after they argued about custody issues, Yuma police reported. Officers believed he was heading for Montana.
The abduction triggered an Amber Alert and a warrant was issued for Green's arrest. Family members worried that Green was suicidal and possibly had a firearm with him.
Officers reported that Green was driving a green Dodge pickup with Arizona license plates.
After hearing about the kidnapping, UHP had two troopers waiting at the state line. They spotted a truck with matching plates that appeared to have been painted white by hand, and green paint could still be seen on the vehicle, police said.
The vehicle had allegedly been whitewashed with primer.
Both troopers began following the truck, and Green pulled over on his own near Brigham Road and was arrested without incident about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. He was into the Washington County Jail.
Aleeha, who troopers described as "healthy, happy and beautiful," was found unharmed in the vehicle.
— McKenzie Romero
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14