Utes football: Utah defense preparing to face BYU quarterback Taysom Hill, Cougars' offense
“If you watch our film you’d think they would be really enticed to throw the football, but I think they’re going to stick with what they do best,” Whittingham said. “I’m sure they’re going to mix some throws in there and play-action pass and that type of thing, but they’ve got a quarterback who is an exceptional runner and I think they’re not going to deviate too far from that.”
Whittingham added that Hill, who is the nation’s fifth-leading rusher with 150.5 yards per game and sports an impressive average of 10.8 per carry, is a powerful runner that can’t be arm tackled.
Utah linebacker Jason Whittingham acknowledged that Hill put on quite a show against the Longhorns.
“I know that we’ll have to work very hard this week as a defense to contain him and not let him get too many big plays on us — especially with his feet,” he said.
That’s not to say, however, that the BYU signal-caller is one-dimensional.
“He can still pass even though he’s a predominate rusher. He’s a quarterback for a reason, which means he can still pass. But it’ll be different. Our pass defense still needs to improve, but I think it’ll be a little bit of a help this week with less of a passing attack,” Jason Whittingham said. “They can still pass, but we’re expecting a lot of rushing out of their quarterback. So we’re going to try to contain him and hopefully we can keep him from getting out of the gate too often.”
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28