Westminster volleyball: Griffins visit Carroll and host Montana Tech
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team plays a pair of Frontier Conference matches this week. The Griffins begin the week with a trip to Helena, Mont., to face Carroll (Mont.) on Thursday at 7 p.m. The Griffins then return home for a Saturday match against Montana Tech at 2 p.m. in the Behnken Field House.
Thursday’s match at Carroll will be streamed live and feature live stats. Saturday’s game will be streamed on Griffins TV and also be carried on Comcast 6 in northern Utah. That game will also have live stats available. Links for all of the live features can be found in the calendar section of Westminster's athletic website.
Westminster begins a full week of conference games at 7-7 overall this season and 1-0 in league matches. Westminster opened the Frontier season with a four-set win at Montana Western last Friday night. The Griffins are 3-1 at home in 2013 and have gone 7-2 against non-ranked opponents. Westminster is 1-2 in road matches this season with the lone win coming last Friday.
The Griffins rank fourth in the Frontier Conference by hitting 1.74 during the season. They are averaging 11.51 kills per set while also picking up 10.55 assists per frame. Westminster has notched 71 service aces to rank sixth in the league and is averaging 1.27 aces per set.
Westminster limits the opposition to .163 hitting and an average of 12 kills per set. The Griffins lead the Frontier in blocks with 122 and are 26th in the NAIA at 2.18 blocks per set. They also collect 14.82 digs per set for a total of 830 for the season.
Carroll holds a 16-8 lead in the all-time series with the Griffins. The Saints have won two straight matches and hold a 7-4 advantage in Salt Lake City. Westminster took a five-set decision during last year’s meeting in the Behnken Field House to snap a seven-match losing streak in the series.
Westminster is 18-7 against Montana Tech all-time and has won four straight matches. The Griffins are 9-1 all-time at home against the Orediggers. Montana Tech has never won in the Behnken Field House, and its last road win in the series came in 2003.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18