Crews begin demolishing 55-year-old Granger High School
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — It’s out with the old and in with the new.
Jacobsen Construction crews began demolishing the old Granger High School building Wednesday.
Project manager Brad Bohne said the 55-year-old building will be leveled over the next two to three weeks and shouldn’t disturb the students at the neighboring new Granger High, 3690 S. 3600 West.
Starting Thursday, the construction crew will leave a pile of bricks out by the seminary building, where community members can pick up a memento of the old Granger High building.
Demolition crews will move north to south, starting with the cafeteria. After the 10 acres are razed, Jacobsen Construction will turn the area into a softball field, a soccer field, tennis courts and a parking lot. Bohne said the project should be completed by May 2014.
The new Granger High School is 150,000 square feet and took three years to build. It currently serves 3,000 students who started attending the new school when the 2013-14 school year began in August.
The state-of-the-art facility houses a full swimming pool, main and auxiliary gyms, an interior courtyard, wood and metal shops, science and computer labs, and a 15,000-seat performing arts center.
— Madeleine Brown
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 27
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19