“You don’t have to store it in a warehouse or ship it,” he said. “That’s good in that there is a lot of stuff out there, but the competition is enormous.”
And the availability along with more self-publishing means there is more for people to pick from and that aren't expensive.
“At first, I thought 'Oh, I couldn’t curl up with a reader'" like with a book, Hughes said of his initial resistance. “But it’s really not very different.”
His Kindle went with him on trips they took this summer and he took all the things he wanted to read with him.
In writing, Hughes does his research, some type of outline for the plotline and character development before writing a draft.
"I think it's best to write a fairly fast rough draft and not try too hard to be perfect in the first draft," Hughes said. "Get down and then revise a lot."
In each draft, don't focus on perfection, just "push it forward."
In writing the parallel stories of Jeff and Abby and pioneers Will and Liz, he outlined both couples' stories to know how to mesh them and where to switch between the perspectives before writing the 400-plus page novel all the way through.
The 101st book
Hughes plans for a third volume in the Come to Zion series, which is due out next spring. He is on track to get the manuscript finished by fall.
He has other plans for other books, including an idea for a young adult novel and other LDS-themed projects, too, but not at a pace as fast as he has done before when he was putting out several books a year.
However, Hughes still says, “I feel like I'm the same guy who was writing when I was 30."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 20
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 18
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 16
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16