“You don’t have to store it in a warehouse or ship it,” he said. “That’s good in that there is a lot of stuff out there, but the competition is enormous.”
And the availability along with more self-publishing means there is more for people to pick from and that aren't expensive.
“At first, I thought 'Oh, I couldn’t curl up with a reader'" like with a book, Hughes said of his initial resistance. “But it’s really not very different.”
His Kindle went with him on trips they took this summer and he took all the things he wanted to read with him.
In writing, Hughes does his research, some type of outline for the plotline and character development before writing a draft.
"I think it's best to write a fairly fast rough draft and not try too hard to be perfect in the first draft," Hughes said. "Get down and then revise a lot."
In each draft, don't focus on perfection, just "push it forward."
In writing the parallel stories of Jeff and Abby and pioneers Will and Liz, he outlined both couples' stories to know how to mesh them and where to switch between the perspectives before writing the 400-plus page novel all the way through.
The 101st book
Hughes plans for a third volume in the Come to Zion series, which is due out next spring. He is on track to get the manuscript finished by fall.
He has other plans for other books, including an idea for a young adult novel and other LDS-themed projects, too, but not at a pace as fast as he has done before when he was putting out several books a year.
However, Hughes still says, “I feel like I'm the same guy who was writing when I was 30."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty...
- 6 lies early returned missionaries tell...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: A Mormon, a Muslim and a...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- How cemeteries and smartphones play a role in...
- 6 lies early returned missionaries tell... 113
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 104
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 67
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- Stuart Reid: Despite study results,... 50
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: A Mormon, a Muslim... 32
- Evangelist urges Christians to pray for... 28
- Is it heresy for Baptists to baptize a... 24