Matt Rourke, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Free flu shots will be available to students at the University of Utah next week.
The legislative branch of the Associated Students of the U. has allocated $12,000 to provide the free vaccinations to 800 students. The majority of the vaccinations will be given to students at the Wellness Fair on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Field House. The remaining shots will be provided at the Center for Student Wellness to those who don’t have insurance.
“Each vaccination we give contributes to the overall health of the campus,” said Michael Chen, ASUU Student Services director. “Each person that is immune lowers the risk to others.”
The 2012 National College Health Assessment from the American College Health Association found 58.9 percent of students were not vaccinated against the flu within the last 12 months, 58.3 percent of students experienced the flu and caused 13.9 percent of all students to have a negative impact on academics.
“The flu can spread very quickly on a college campus where students are interacting with hundreds of other people each semester,” Chen said. “By providing the vaccinations for free, we hope to keep the campus and students healthy.”
The flu shot bill has been an annual collaboration between ASUU Student Services Board, Student Health Advisory Committee and the Center for Student Wellness. The free flu shot clinics have served more than 2,800 students in the last four years.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 38
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17