BYU-Hawaii soccer: Utah products lead BYU-Hawaii over Chaminade, 3-0
HONOLULU – The BYU-Hawaii men’s soccer team picked up its first victory of the season in a 3-0 win over Chaminade on a windy and rainy Tuesday. The Seasiders’ three goals came from two Utahns and another with Utah Valley ties.
“I thought with the conditions on the field and the wind I think we played as well as we could second half,” head coach Mark Davis said. “The first half we needed to work on some things but the second half we played a solid 45 minutes. We possessed the ball well and we were very intelligent going forward. It was a brilliant second half after a first half where we had some things to clean up.”
BYU-Hawaii (1-1-1) took 20 shots, connecting on goals from Colby Bauer in the first half with Mike Moreno and Brady Berry in the second half. Bauer, from Arizona, and Moreno from Orem, played for BYU-Provo’s men’s soccer team before transferring to BYU-Hawaii, and Berry is from Highland.
The Seasider defense limited the Silver Swords (0-4-0) to just six shots, and BYU-Hawaii goalkeeper Chris Pineda, a product of American Fork, posted three saves to keep Chaminade scoreless in 90 minutes of play. Another transfer from Gilbert, Ariz., David Urbina played great defense, and Pawel Dregan got moved up to the front where he added energy to change the game on offense.
Bauer’s score came with about 12 minutes to go in the first half when a kick ricocheted off Chaminade’s keeper, and Bauer was there to knock it in.
Moreno got the Seasiders’ another goal midway through the second half. The transfer from Provo got away from the defense for a breakway goal to make it 2-0 with 28 minutes to play.
Berry made sure the match was out of reach at 3-0 with another goal late in the second half.
Up next, BYU-Hawaii faces Hawaii Pacific on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 3 p.m.
Kenny is a BYU graduate and is the BYU-Hawaii sports information director. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on twitter @KennyCoxKC and the Seasiders @BYUHAthletics
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 78
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24