Less than six months after FamilySearch.org launched an enhanced version of its family history website, more than 1 million photos have been uploaded and preserved, according to a news release.
"With the help of our users, we are creating the world's largest, free collection of family history photos," Tim Cross, senior product manager of FamilySearch photos and stories, said in the news release. "We see this as a major achievement toward preserving, sharing and uniquely identifying family history memories for people from all over the world."
The millionth photo was that of a white-bearded man named Ephraim Mecham, a farmer and horticulturist who was born in 1808 and came to Utah in 1852. Mecham's photo will now be preserved in FamilySearch's archive. Tags identifying people in photos are locked in so descendents will have permanent access to these ancestral photos, according to FamilySearch.
FamilySearch has enjoyed a positive global response to its enhanced website.
"I have discovered several new photographs that I never knew existed," Donna Grace said in the news release. "I showed them to my sisters and none of them have seen them before. This is wonderful. What a great way to discover more than just names and places."
To find photos and stories already submitted, visit the FamilySearch Photos and Stories page and click on the blue "Find photos of your ancestors" button. Photos can be uploaded in the same section.
For more information, visit FamilySearch.org.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 30
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 23
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 18
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 12
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 12
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 11
- How would you describe God in just one... 11