10 keys to Real Salt Lake winning three trophies this season
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Despite the recent blip in an overall dominant season, Real Salt Lake remains within reach of three trophies.
Recently bumped out of the No. 1 slot by the Seattle Sounders, RSL isn't out of the race — not even close.
There are several key games, individual performances and tactical adaptations that lie ahead of Kreis' team in the closing weeks of the MLS regular season. The Open Cup, Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup trophies would each bring outstanding recognition to Real Salt Lake, but winning all three would signify an outstanding bout of MLS dominance.
With pride aside, each of the titles would earn the club another appearance in the CONCACAF Champions League. In the 2010-11 season, RSL made a notable run to the final and still remains as the only MLS team to reach a CONCACAF final.
All RSL needs to reach the CONCACAF Champions League is one trophy, but here are 10 things that need to happen for RSL to earn all three.
Whitney O'Bannon is a web sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Live streams: 5A and 4A girls soccer state...
- Suspended Utah football player sentenced for...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 88
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 47
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21