10 keys to Real Salt Lake winning three trophies this season
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Despite the recent blip in an overall dominant season, Real Salt Lake remains within reach of three trophies.
Recently bumped out of the No. 1 slot by the Seattle Sounders, RSL isn't out of the race — not even close.
There are several key games, individual performances and tactical adaptations that lie ahead of Kreis' team in the closing weeks of the MLS regular season. The Open Cup, Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup trophies would each bring outstanding recognition to Real Salt Lake, but winning all three would signify an outstanding bout of MLS dominance.
With pride aside, each of the titles would earn the club another appearance in the CONCACAF Champions League. In the 2010-11 season, RSL made a notable run to the final and still remains as the only MLS team to reach a CONCACAF final.
All RSL needs to reach the CONCACAF Champions League is one trophy, but here are 10 things that need to happen for RSL to earn all three.
Whitney O'Bannon is a web sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13