BYU football: Spencer Hadley suspended 5 games for honor code violation
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU senior linebacker Spencer Hadley has said how much he has been looking forward to playing against Utah for the last time Saturday.
But now, Hadley won't get that chance.
One of the unsung heroes of the Cougars' defense, Hadley won't be on the field against the Utes, and he won't be playing at all for a while — at least five games.
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Tuesday that Hadley has been suspended indefinitely due to a violation of team rules.
Later in the day, BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins told the Deseret News that Hadley had violated the school's honor code and will be suspended for five games.
"The university has determined that there was a violation of the honor code, resulting in a five-game suspension, during which time Spencer will not represent the university," Jenkins said. "Spencer will remain in school this semester and is working with the dean of students."
The soonest Hadley could return to action would be Oct. 25 when Boise State visits LaVell Edwards Stadium.
With Hadley out, senior Tyler Beck will likely take his place at the starting Buck linebacker position, while sophomore Manoa Pikula could also see action at that spot.
Hadley started BYU’s first two games this season at inside linebacker while recording 12 tackles and two pass breakups. The 6-foot-1, 227-pound linebacker has started 16 games with 39 appearances at both inside and outside linebacker.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Doug Robinson: Former SLC engineer gets paid...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 79
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 67
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 36
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33