Delay Obamacare for security reasons, says Orrin Hatch
Republicans should work together to delay Obamacare to make sure that the system is safe for Americans, says Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, in an op-ed on Fox News.
When the health care exchanges — set up to allow consumers to more easily pick and choose their healthcare plan — goes live in Oct. 1, Americans will be required to submit information — such as social security numbers, household income, etc. — into the Federal Data Services Hub.
The problem with this, says Hatch, is that the data hub is not secure enough.
“The information technology (IT) security designed to protect the private records of millions of Americans has only just been completed, leaving a mere two weeks for the workings of this complex system to be independently verified.”
“Last month the department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG) issued a report saying the federal government had failed to meet multiple deadlines for testing operations and reporting data security vulnerabilities involved with the Data Hub.”
With the amount of public data in the record, Hatch believes that Obamacare must be delayed until the system can be fully tested, refusing to take the White House at its word that the system is ready and has been tested thoroughly.
“That’s why I plan to introduce legislation today, Tuesday, September 17, to delay enrollment for the both the federal and state health insurance exchanges until the GAO in consultation with the HHS OIG can attest that the necessary privacy and data security parameters are in place.”
Read more on Fox News.
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Letter: My sons
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Jay Evensen: U2's 'free' album highlights...
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who doesn't
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 65
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 55
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial... 25