D.C. massacre: Gun usage, violent video games cloud shooter's past
Aaron Alexis, the suspected gunman in the U.S. Navy Yard shooting episode that left 13 people dead, had a checkered past that included run-ins with gun charges, violent video games and alcoholism.
“Mr. Alexis was a New York native who lived in Fort Worth, Texas, and worked in a Navy fleet logistics support squadron based there before he was discharged from the military after a 2010 arrest for firing a gun at his apartment,” Ana Campoy and Nathan Koppel reported for the Wall Street Journal. “The incident sent a bullet into a neighbor's property a few days after an alleged confrontation with the neighbor over noise.”
After speaking with the suspect’s best friend, Nutpisit Suthamtewakul, The Telegraph’s Nick Allen wrote, “The darker side to Alexis's character saw him playing violent ‘zombie’ video games in his room, sometimes from 12:30 pm until 4:30 am. Mr Suthamtewakul said: ‘He could be in the game all day and all night. I think games might be what pushed him that way.’ “
The Washington Post reported, “Alexis drank alcohol frequently and in large quantities, Suthamtewakul said: ‘He can start drinking at 9:30 in the morning. He drinks often and for fun, but it was never a problem.’ Asked what he will remember about his friend, Suthamtewakul said, ‘Him with a Heineken.’ ”
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 9