D.C. massacre: Gun usage, violent video games cloud shooter's past
Aaron Alexis, the suspected gunman in the U.S. Navy Yard shooting episode that left 13 people dead, had a checkered past that included run-ins with gun charges, violent video games and alcoholism.
“Mr. Alexis was a New York native who lived in Fort Worth, Texas, and worked in a Navy fleet logistics support squadron based there before he was discharged from the military after a 2010 arrest for firing a gun at his apartment,” Ana Campoy and Nathan Koppel reported for the Wall Street Journal. “The incident sent a bullet into a neighbor's property a few days after an alleged confrontation with the neighbor over noise.”
After speaking with the suspect’s best friend, Nutpisit Suthamtewakul, The Telegraph’s Nick Allen wrote, “The darker side to Alexis's character saw him playing violent ‘zombie’ video games in his room, sometimes from 12:30 pm until 4:30 am. Mr Suthamtewakul said: ‘He could be in the game all day and all night. I think games might be what pushed him that way.’ “
The Washington Post reported, “Alexis drank alcohol frequently and in large quantities, Suthamtewakul said: ‘He can start drinking at 9:30 in the morning. He drinks often and for fun, but it was never a problem.’ Asked what he will remember about his friend, Suthamtewakul said, ‘Him with a Heineken.’ ”
- Cancer patient turns big goodbye to wedding...
- AirAsia plane carrying 162 lost in stormy...
- Box Office: 'Hobbit' wins Christmas, 'Big...
- Q&A on what might have happened to AirAsia...
- Key developments in disappearance of AirAsia jet
- Heroes 2014: Meet the disruptive visionary...
- Yes-We-Can president faces twilight of maybes
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Yes-We-Can president faces twilight of... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 13
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 13
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 7
- Largest quarterly GDP growth since 2003... 7
- Jeb Bush to step down from Tenet... 5