What about the other two members of the six-person committee? Roger Tomsbrook and Linda Funk? Both are small-business owners from Creekside, each have several years under their belts on the committee and both desperately want Maxwell Minor to marry their daughters. Either one would make a compelling hero as the residents of Apple Valley make the yearlong trek to the 96th edition on July 3, 2014.
Go ahead and put your money on them. Unless, of course, you like to keep your cash.
No matter the year and regardless the personalities of the committee members, the real hero is the Barn Dance.
Never forget that the Barn Dance is the only actor who knows all the secrets, treats everyone equally and never complains about the July heat.
The Barn Dance knows every recipe, the tricks to beating every carnival game and where every hatchet is buried.
The Barn Dance has witnessed every fistfight, every slow dance and every single first kiss.
Sure, the people who gather on July 3 each year to make amends and get along have plenty of stories to tell and lessons to learn. But don’t be fooled — this is the story of the Apple Valley Barn Dance.
And the Barn Dance always tells the truth.
'The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance'
"The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance" is a work of fiction. Maxwell Minor (Kirby Heyborne) represents the town of Creekside on the planning committee for the 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance. This is the first episode of his Video Diary.
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance," coming this fall. He can be reached at email@example.com or jasonfwright.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11