What about the other two members of the six-person committee? Roger Tomsbrook and Linda Funk? Both are small-business owners from Creekside, each have several years under their belts on the committee and both desperately want Maxwell Minor to marry their daughters. Either one would make a compelling hero as the residents of Apple Valley make the yearlong trek to the 96th edition on July 3, 2014.
Go ahead and put your money on them. Unless, of course, you like to keep your cash.
No matter the year and regardless the personalities of the committee members, the real hero is the Barn Dance.
Never forget that the Barn Dance is the only actor who knows all the secrets, treats everyone equally and never complains about the July heat.
The Barn Dance knows every recipe, the tricks to beating every carnival game and where every hatchet is buried.
The Barn Dance has witnessed every fistfight, every slow dance and every single first kiss.
Sure, the people who gather on July 3 each year to make amends and get along have plenty of stories to tell and lessons to learn. But don’t be fooled — this is the story of the Apple Valley Barn Dance.
And the Barn Dance always tells the truth.
'The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance'
"The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance" is a work of fiction. Maxwell Minor (Kirby Heyborne) represents the town of Creekside on the planning committee for the 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance. This is the first episode of his Video Diary.
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance," coming this fall. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or jasonfwright.com.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of...
- Updated LDS missionary dress and grooming...
- Methodists postpone debate of gay issues that...
- How Ben Shahn's art anticipates Bernie Sanders
- Meet Jewish America's first ambassador to...
- Throwback Thursday: 6 lies early returned...
- LDS leaders OK slacks for Mormon women on...
- Religious freedom is good for business,... 29
- Updated LDS missionary dress and... 27
- LDS leaders OK slacks for Mormon women... 18
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 15
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 10
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 9
- ... 8