BREMERTON, Wash. - The BYU men's golf team tied in third place at the Husky Invitational on Monday with Joe Parkinson leading the way.
"We sure played well in the first round," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "The forecast was cold and rainy all day, but the first round was good. The second round, the weather picked up, so it was a little more difficult and we didn't finish the round very well."
The Cougars placed behind tournament host, Washington, which finished the first day at 11-under-par and West Coast Conference foe, San Diego (-1).
Parkinson jumped from 30th place to second, finishing 4-under-par, behind Washington's Cheng-Tsung Pan (-6). He also finished with two eagles in his 14th and 18th hole in the second round.
"Joe was 7-under-par through five holes," Brockbank said. "His start to the second round was awesome. The rest of the team struggled a little, but Joe played great and kept us in it."
Junior Jordan Rodgers, finishing at 19th, led BYU in the first round at 2-under-par including an eagle in his sixth hole. Justin Keiley (+2), tied at 25th, and Jordan Hammer (+3), tied at 30th place, while Cole Ogden (+8) tied at 54th place to round out the Cougars.
"All in all, it was a pretty good day today," Brockbank said. "The golf course is really long and hard, but I thought we finished OK. I'd like to see if we can be more consistent and not get too far ahead of ourselves. We need to make good decisions and follow them up with good swings. "
In-state rival Utah placed last in the 15-team tournament at 30-over-par. Other WCC participants Saint Mary's, Pepperdine, Gonzaga and Pacific placed 9th, 12th, 13th and 14th, respectively.
The Cougars will return to action Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. PST for the final round of the Husky Invitational. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50