Debt is stressing a lot of Americans. A new report by Mintel, a market research firm based in London, found that "one in four (American) households (25 percent) feel that the level of debt they are carrying is causing significant stress in their lives, and the same percentage (25 percent) state that the amount of debt they have impacts their day-to-day lives."
"The economic recovery is in full swing, but many households are still struggling to make ends meet and the pressure of everyday expenses is stressing them out," said Susan Menke, senior financial services analyst at Mintel. "Consumers are feeling increasingly bogged down by their debt and they don't seem to see an end in sight, as many expect to carry debt into retirement."
Only 48 percent of Americans think they will be free from debt when they retire. Seventeen percent think they will never get out of debt — about 20 million households.
But 61 percent said paying off their debt is their number one financial goal.
GoBankingRates.com created a hypothetical average American using existing average data from a variety of sources, named her "Mary Smith," and looked at how much debt average folks have.
The fictional, average Mary Smith is a 37-year-old non-Hispanic white woman living in New York who earns a median income of $40,728.
Unfortunately, Mary Smith is probably among those 25 percent that Mintel's report says are experiencing debt stress.
Adding her average credit card debt to mortgage debt to student loan and auto debt leaves Mary Smith, according to GoBankingRates.com, in debt around $225,238.
No wonder, according to a survey by Credit.com, that the new American Dream for 23 percent of Americans is to be debt free.
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 4
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3
- Should you take a store up on its... 2