Teacher accepts student's assignment about Michael Jackson, but not the one about God
Screenshot from wreg.com
When a 10-year-old-girl from Memphis, Tenn., wrote about God as her idol for an in-class assignment last week, her teacher told her that topic was not acceptable, according to wreg.com.
“I look up to God,” Erin Shead wrote on her paper. “He will make me the best that I can be ... He will always be the #1 person I look up to.”
Erin’s mother, Erica Shead, was concerned about the teacher’s response.
“How can you tell this baby, that’s a Christian, what she can say and what she can’t say?” Shead said in an interview with News Channel 3 in Memphis.
According to the Christian Post, the teacher had Erin chose a different idol to write about, so she made a web diagram about Michael Jackson instead, which the teacher accepted.
Shead contacted the school principal about the incident.
“Can you show me this in a policy where this child cannot talk about God on paper?” Shead said in her interview. “I told the principal this morning, 'Would it be better if she wrote about Ellen DeGeneres?' Of course there was no comment.”
According to WREG, Shelby County Schools spokesman Christian Ross said teachers are not allowed to promote religion, but there is no policy that prohibits students from writing assignments about God or religion.
On Sept. 12, the school system released an official response about the event.
“Shelby County Schools respects the moral and religious beliefs of all students and families. While teachers and staff are not permitted to promote religion in the classroom, no laws or district policies allow teachers to limit students’ expression of religious beliefs in their personal classwork.
"This was a regrettable misunderstanding, and we as educators must learn from it," the statement continued. "The principal and teacher have had a positive and productive conversation with the family, and we are pleased this matter is being addressed at the school level. The district will not be discussing this matter further in the media.”
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 83
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 76
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 17
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 17
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 11
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 10
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 10
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year 8