I’m known to many of my friends and family as “The Chicken Lady.” I raise chickens — not for meat, but for eggs.
There is nothing better than a farm fresh egg and regardless of what is currently trending regarding the health benefits of eggs, I eat a lot of them. One of my favorite ways to fix them is my simple Egg Tostada. It is super easy and turns plain scrambled eggs into something really special.
The trick is to use uncooked corn tortillas. When placed on a skillet they puff up and taste like they are homemade. You can vary this recipe to fit your own tastes, but the basic ingredients are healthy, hearty and have the Chicken Lady’s seal of approval.
Belle’s Egg Tostadas
4 uncooked corn tortillas
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Place tortillas on hot skillet and cook until they start to puff up. Flip tortillas and cook until browned and puffy. Place in the center of a plate. Place ¼ cup of salsa and spread almost to the edge of the tortilla. Place ¼ lettuce and chopped tomato on top of the salsa.
In the same skillet, spray with cooking spray and cook eggs, stirring until they are set. Top with cheese and cook just until the cheese starts to melt. Place ¼ of the mixture on each of the prepared tortillas. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a year...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Blogger Stephanie Nielson says family was her...
- Our marriage has eroded, and I'm glad it has
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 14
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 6
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 4
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a... 4
- 454 people sworn in as U.S. citizens at... 3