I’m known to many of my friends and family as “The Chicken Lady.” I raise chickens — not for meat, but for eggs.
There is nothing better than a farm fresh egg and regardless of what is currently trending regarding the health benefits of eggs, I eat a lot of them. One of my favorite ways to fix them is my simple Egg Tostada. It is super easy and turns plain scrambled eggs into something really special.
The trick is to use uncooked corn tortillas. When placed on a skillet they puff up and taste like they are homemade. You can vary this recipe to fit your own tastes, but the basic ingredients are healthy, hearty and have the Chicken Lady’s seal of approval.
Belle’s Egg Tostadas
4 uncooked corn tortillas
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Place tortillas on hot skillet and cook until they start to puff up. Flip tortillas and cook until browned and puffy. Place in the center of a plate. Place ¼ cup of salsa and spread almost to the edge of the tortilla. Place ¼ lettuce and chopped tomato on top of the salsa.
In the same skillet, spray with cooking spray and cook eggs, stirring until they are set. Top with cheese and cook just until the cheese starts to melt. Place ¼ of the mixture on each of the prepared tortillas. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all learn...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- The Clean Cut: 'Dancing grandpa' throws down...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 15
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 12
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform... 5
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for... 5