I’m known to many of my friends and family as “The Chicken Lady.” I raise chickens — not for meat, but for eggs.
There is nothing better than a farm fresh egg and regardless of what is currently trending regarding the health benefits of eggs, I eat a lot of them. One of my favorite ways to fix them is my simple Egg Tostada. It is super easy and turns plain scrambled eggs into something really special.
The trick is to use uncooked corn tortillas. When placed on a skillet they puff up and taste like they are homemade. You can vary this recipe to fit your own tastes, but the basic ingredients are healthy, hearty and have the Chicken Lady’s seal of approval.
Belle’s Egg Tostadas
4 uncooked corn tortillas
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Place tortillas on hot skillet and cook until they start to puff up. Flip tortillas and cook until browned and puffy. Place in the center of a plate. Place ¼ cup of salsa and spread almost to the edge of the tortilla. Place ¼ lettuce and chopped tomato on top of the salsa.
In the same skillet, spray with cooking spray and cook eggs, stirring until they are set. Top with cheese and cook just until the cheese starts to melt. Place ¼ of the mixture on each of the prepared tortillas. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy:...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- Staying faithful: How the Internet changed...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- Laundry Love: Groups across the nation are...
- Steve Eaton: Hobo tarantulas should get back...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 9
- Living with Children: Late nights, not... 6
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Staying faithful: How the Internet... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3
- 5 parenting lessons from movies 3
- Face time vs. screen time: The... 2
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 2